Friday, February 15, 2013

FebRUary...everything seems so impossible!

Hey, so keeping up with this is kind of difficult! Of course, when there's errands to run and people to see, it can often be hard to break away and find some time to sit and write. It can also be difficult if I would rather be reading my Kindle or playing Civilization V. Yeah...

When we last spoke, we were getting toys and goodies from our various gifts. After a long and protracted process, we now have two more dining room chairs, a couple of lamps, a sideboard, a hallway table, a nightstand, and a vanity. Each item of furniture we obtain makes me wonder how we're ever going to move it all again...

Yes, I'd like to get a house.

No, not that one...
The place where you live and you're responsible for all that goes on...but it's yours. Where you can throw money into something that's useful, rather than just into someone else's pocket. Alison and I have been looking off and on. We've enjoyed our ward, and we wouldn't mind staying in it, but the geographical boundaries are pretty narrow. The home selection is fairly limited as well. It's challenging because I can't choose anything that has "garage face..."

Some are creepier than others....
Well, more like this...
Garage Man raises his eyebrow at you
We would like something with two stories, that isn't super old, and isn't super huge. Alison likes a good kitchen, and I'd like a good yard. It might take us a year to find something. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

I was trying to be a tricky dude and surprise Alison with tickets to

Well, the Monty Python version isn't coming to town for a couple of months, but the normal mode version did have a run at the Hobby Center downtown. My surprise failed because Alison's mom went and nearly bought tickets for all of us before I stopped her, tipping my hand. I had never seen the musical before, but I heard many of the songs on Dad's cassette growing up.

Before we went, we checked out this restaurant downtown called the Hearsay Gastro Lounge. It sounds like the kind of place you go when you have stomach cramps (or where you get them). Instead, it's a pretty neat old building in downtown Houston. We got a table on the top floor balcony...
Alison surveys the little people below...
My phace when you philch my phone
Occupying the second oldest building in Houston, the Hearsay is kind of like a trendy bar/restaurant. There were certainly a high number of young professionals here, so I didn't feel too out of place. As for the food, I'll just show a couple of pictures.
Hint: Yum
See previous caption
The play was pretty cool too. It made Alison cry, if you use that as a metric...

Later, we went on additional shopping runs.
Alison carefully weighs the merits of each alarm clock
While I weigh a wastepaper basket
Suddenly, we were well into February. That means Alison's birthday! Unfortunately gentle readers, I am not nearly as creative nor thoughtful in my birthday merrymaking...especially when it falls on a weekday where Alison has to leave at 5:45 in the morning and gets home about the same time in the evening.

What do you mean the gift hasn't arrived yet?
Yeah, I'm in trouble
Well, I managed to scrounge up a signed copy of The Phantom Tollbooth. I think she liked it.

The plan the next day was to go to see Catch Me if You Can, the musical based on the early life of Frank Abagnale. The tickets were for the wrong day. Alison jumped on the phone...

Happy Birthday!
And I guess tickets can be caught.
She won't let me go
The musical was fun, although at times the music seemed a little inconsistent, like it was trying to be too many things. I personally found the FBI agent dude's numbers to be the most interesting. I guess I've always been a sucker for the comical noire detective stuff. Must be why I like Tex Avery...
I like skyscrapers
So a good time for all.

Until I ripped my pants.

Guess it was one cycle too many...
I'll see you later, after I've gone clothes shopping. Yippy skippy.

2 comments:

  1. So fun to see an update on things there. It's fun you are starting to look for a house. It is good you can take your time and find the best place for you two.
    You outings look like lots if fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun post! The ripped-pants photo was very tasteful and modest -- much more so than if you had still been wearing them!

    D.

    ReplyDelete