Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring Break (and change) in Pictures


Gordon's mentioned some of our recent grand adventures already, and I say amen to his assessments of LaMancha and Clapton.  Here are some other happenings from the past few weeks.

Spring has come to Houston!


Gordon introduced me to a Vietnamese soup called Pho.  I can't believe it was this long before I tried it. 
If you have not, go now.
Yum!

Since I was on spring break, I got to go on a girls' road trip with my mom and friends to San Antonio!
 (Poor Gordon was not on Spring Break, so he did not get to come.) It's always fun to go with Debby and co. on such adventures. This one mostly consisted of a visit to the San Antonio Temple and lunch at a delicious Japanese restaurant.  
View going up to the temple entrance
 (If my phone hadn't died,  I would have snapped some shots of the stained glass.)
The best surprise on the trip was running into Gordon's Grandma James at the temple.  I knew she volunteered as a worker, but I didn't know we were going to be there at the same time.  We just happened walk into the same room right before her shift, and we got to chat and catch up. I was sorry Gordon couldn't be there, but I'm so glad I got to run into her!


A super cool (and extremely generous) lady we met at church, Carol Busbee, is very sew-savvy.  She helped me make my batiks (the ones I've been toting from house to house since my first Malaysia trip) into a duvet cover! Two days, many giggles, and lots of delicious food later, we ended up with this:
cover, sans duvet

And now it lives in our bedroom.
No complaints so far!


Here are the remains of a very long grading session towards the end of the week. 


Thank goodness we had Clapton to make up for it! 
(Okay, I can't not mention this concert.)

Warning: terrible videography to follow.

This was sooooo cool!

(Ignore the Coke ad behind us.)

The last day of Spring Break was St. Patrick's Day. We celebrated with a See's Irish Potato from my mom.  

Huh, it looks like a potato to me.

Does it taste like one too?
What? There's candy in this?!

A right clever trick, See's!
Yar! Happy St. Patty's Day t'ye all!

(Pirate and Irish accents are sort of the same in my head.)

Finally, we went to a great egg place this morning - The Egg and I.  Maybe you've heard of it?






We approve!

and just for kicks:

3 comments:

  1. Very fun! I love seeing what you are doing. It's great you really made a bed the batik fabric into a cover. COol! I look forward to seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned the secrets to making pho in a cooking class in Vietnam earlier this year. When we are there this summer we will have to have a pho party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! I can't believe Ian didn't introduce you to pho before now. And the Mickey Mouse Club video almost made me weep!

    Cheers!

    D.

    ReplyDelete