Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summertime in Equatorial Manhattan

We just got back from a jam-packed week of running to trains, dodging puddles, and wandering around in enormous buildings. There are a lot of places where you can do that, but arguably the most famous is New York City.

Most common occurrence: the back of someone's head
We flew out on a Friday night after I ran away from work on a day where I had to cover for two absent coworkers...only to find that our flight was delayed almost an hour due to storms in New York.

If Cookie Monster can wait, so can I
Of course, we get into a city that I've never visited before in the dark in a thunderstorm.

Even The Doctor can't avoid the misery
Thankfully, Alison had arranged to have her family live in New York so we could have someone to help us out if we wanted to visit. At least, that's a little what it felt like to me. The NY Gibbs came to the rescue and picked us up off the LaGuardia Curb of Abandonment and whisked us away to the dry safety of their Westchester home.

Defying my conception of coastal territories, Uncle Mike took us out on Saturday through the hilly country of New York to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library in Hyde Park. Unfortunately, the library was mostly closed (it was being renovated for the first time since its opening...don't we have the greatest timing?), but we did get to see his house. We also drove through Sleepy Hollow (but my photo skillz weren't enough to get any meat for you guys).

I like what you've done with the place

I guess the grass is a bit greener on our side
We attended church in a building in New Rochelle that commemorated the early congregation of Mormons that gathered there. It was kind of cool to be meeting closer to the earliest founders of the faith.

Our first foray into the city was brief: we took an art historian with us into Castle Wyvern The Cloisters. This medieval era building was imported from Europe by one of the Rockefellers, something about either breaking a curse or having a whole lot of money.

Probably planning a gambit as we speak
In any case, it was quite interesting, especially when you've got an aunt who happens to know a bit about the art. The most difficult part of the trip was parking.

Wonder how much it cost to park your horse back in the day
Aunt Linda's class is in session
Archy
This is a castle, and we have many tapestries
Our second jaunt had much less favorable weather. Fortunately, a lot of interesting things are to be found indoors in the city. The New York Public Library, was quiet quite fun.

Alison and Graham study the finer points of Zimbabwe history
I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts
It turns out that taking a picture with your phone while holding an umbrella is hard
We also checked out the Museum of Modern Art, as part of our New York Citypass. I wasn't expecting to see so much here, as Houston's own museum was pretty limited. I was wrong...5 floors and we only kind of walked through 2. Sadly, the vaunted "Rain Room" had a two hour queue, and we were feeling a bit washed out already.

A mouse and a ray gun. What's more to understand?
This one was particularly fascinating
And now I present to you, Man next to Subdivided Red Rectangle
We wandered around a bit longer in the city, spotting St. Patrick and St. Thomas. The former was all scaffolded up, while the latter stood stoically, defying the elements.

Also sums up the city streets well: suits, taxis, buses, and fire trucks
By the time we got into the famous FAO Schwartz toy store, my phone was almost dead. Turns out it's not great for a day of GPSing and photographing. I would have brought my standalone camera, but I didn't find it until I returned home. I did manage to get a snapshot of what appeared to be a Lego Tauren.

Moo?
Tuesday was the day for the American Museum of Natural History. My earliest reference to this place dated back to the wonderful children's film We're Back! On our way we took a quick shortcut through Harlem.

Words of the prophets written on the subway walls
We worked our way up to the "West Side," as I believe it's called.

Is that the Jets' hideout?
Stopped for a bite at the Snake Shake Shack.
Advice: go to the one that's not on Times Square
Suddenly, we were at the museum.
I'd like to buy a "U"
"Can we afford a 'U'?"
Maybe you can ask your pot dealer
The mvsevm was great! There was much science to be had...more than we could get through in a single visit.
Gotta love the spider crab there
Neil deGrasse Tyson's home
Everyone say "Science!"
It's pretty easy to get lost there
Finally finishing with the bones of brontosaurs, we had worked up an appetite.
Carnegie Deli had pretty good pickles
I was struck by how nebulous a place "Times Square" is. It's not really so much a square as much as where suddenly there are a ton of huge digital displays.

All your walls must be lit up here
News is serious business
Alison and I released our tour guides/cousins after heading off to the Steven Sondheim theater for Trip to Bountiful. Of all the shows I've seen on Broadway, this was my favorite. It was a simple drama, but it was so well acted that I leaped to my feet when Cicely Tyson came up for her stage bow. She deserved every bit of her Tony award.

Apparently, gravlox is a thing. I thought it would involve the Hayden sphere and heavy water, but all you really need is a Jewish deli.
Not bad, but I don't think I'd choose this for breakfast everyday
Flying solo in the city on Wednesday was a bit rocky. We made it to the Empire State Building without too much drama, at least.
I'm HUGE
One ear-popping rapid ascent up to the 89th floor later, I was staring up at the now defunct dirigible docking deck.
"You know something boss, maybe it's just easier to land on the ground..."
We're in an outdoor cage!
But leaning out a bit I could taste freedom
We had intended to take the Circle Line cruise this day, but we found that all the tours were snatched up already. We scheduled for later in the week and headed for the 9/11 Memorial.
This is where the spaceship landed!
WTC 1 was just recently deemed the tallest building in the US, and it dominates the downtown Manhattan skyline. Unfortunately, we found that we needed tickets to get into the memorial. Alison was tired out by this point, so we returned to Neck of Mamaro.
See that sky? Talk about blue
Personally, I never had experienced a subway setback until our return trip to Grand Central Terminal. Our stopped partially in the Union Square station and caused all sorts of hassles for our fellow commuters. Luckily, in New York, most roads lead to Rome Grand Central.
Apparently "mechanical problems" may involve some dude that yanked the emergency brake for fun
I was told that I could stop any New Yorker and ask about a good pizza place. Our hosts were insistent that we try theirs first. Apparently, the trick is in the water. In New York, the water is purified. Twice.
They did not disappoint
Uncle Mike and Aunt Linda took us on a small joyride through the villages of Westchester County.

Recharged, we awoke to more rain. A perfect day for visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art!
With one of the biggest collection of statues without arms
"Aw shucks..."
We're in a place called Vertigo
George the Gaul didn't make it
*cue Rocky theme*
I had never seen a Roman painting up until this point
Lie la lie...
I...wouldn't want to drink anything contained herein
The days of Mr. Tiny Head were few but memorable
"It's better than being a stick in the rock"
The cantina scene was inspired by this lesser known Seurat
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down...
This Picasso inspired the smash 90s hit by Eiffel 65
Allow me to introduce you to armaments and armor
Arise, Riders of Rohan!
It's not so much that his neighbors are midgets as much as that the middle dude is HUGE
"He's got a sword!"
GUNS GUNS GUNS
I think Revolver Ocelot would love this one
Back in the day, the Chinese didn't have singing telegrams. They stuck these whistles to the tails of pigeons.
Marching Band was weird back in the 19th century
I believe I have found the world's tiniest violin. Or a close runner-up
Rather than let this Nubian Egyptian temple get flooded, New Yorkers built an exhibit hall and moved the temple to them
Alison didn't seem the least bit disappointed that the statue's head was missing
On the way out, we spotted Egyptian Bob Ross
Chelsea joined us to go see Peter and the Star Catcher. I admit, I was completely unprepared for this one. I knew it had something to do with Peter Pan. I didn't know it was prequel and co-authored by Dave Barry. In short, it was hilarious. At one point my ribs almost started to hurt.
And in close company with other inappropriately funny plays
One of the downsides to public transit is you are completely at the mercy of their schedule. So, when they decide to shut down service for the night in the freezing rain, you're going to have a bad time.
And it started raining again...
The Empire was kind enough to light our way
And we finally made it back to our train...
...looking no worse for the wear.
Our last day in the city, we said farewell to the silly dog the Gibbs were babysitting and headed in.
What are you looking at? That's my sock
We made it to the 9/11 Memorial. It brought back all kinds of memories of that horrible day. It also made me think of the effect it had on the course of our country. Some things we did right, but a lot of things we've done were dead wrong. It was a somber moment. There will eventually be a full-fledged museum there, but it is a couple of years away from completion.

The Circle Line cruise was well worth the second attempt. It's also as close as you could get to the Statue of Liberty with it being closed and all. We had a tour guide that offered a lot of interesting history, including the factoid that the Woolworth building was paid for in cash in advance.
Our tour guide had a lot of personality, but I think it was quite suitable to the mood of the city
The Empire State Building's groove
It was pretty windy out in the harbor
There she is...
Downtown off in the distance, with HADOKEN to the left
I'll need to walk this guy someday
There's the Empire and the Chrysler
Apparently the UN doesn't have north/south windows so that no one can claim a corner office
Look at all that money!
Thirsty?
That's a unique view of the Statue and the skyline
Oops, I meant here is where the money is
That tan boxy structure to the left that kind of looks like an H is the ventilation port for the Holland Tunnel
Alison loves New York, and New York loves her back
Matilda. That was our final Broadway show, and what a spectacular show it was. The book was great, the movie was fun, and the musical is phenomenal. Clever lyrics, catchy tunes, capital acting, creative choreography all combined into this children's classic. We sat up in the nosebleeds, but we still had a pretty good view of the stage if you leaned around the pole (heh heh). Have a listen to the soundtrack if you will; it's already released since the show premiered in London in 2010 (this year was its Broadway premiere). I was very impressed by the strength of the cast, considering that 2/3 of it were children. My only complaint is that children's choruses with a British accent are nearly impossible for me to understand.

Since our last day was drawing to a close and we had one remaining ticket in our City Pass (Top of the Rock), we ran through the dense tourist throngs of Times Square. Spiderman almost knocked me over in the process.
And then got a little cheeky
Sweating and out of breath, we crossed the NBC Studio's visitor's center and jumped into the last elevator going up to the 67th floor. The view...well...

Let's just say it was well worth the extra effort.

Saturday morning, before we said our goodbyes to the coolest NY family I know (yeah well even if they're the only NY family I know they're still pretty awesome), we stopped by this weird Chinese pagoda.
Bandito was depressed to see us go...or just wanted me to throw his toy again
What's the hubub?
Why, it's Walter's!
Best hot dog I've ever had, bar none.

Now I have to unpack and go back to work. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment