Thursday, November 17, 2016

So Profound Was Their Love...

... they needed no words to express it.

Today is our fourth anniversary. Though in the past I've been prone to somewhat elaborate posts on such romantic occasions, today I'm reminded of something simple and beautiful. So, this is for you,  Captain.

Even before we were seriously dating, I was at your apartment and we were playing some favorite songs for each other. I don't remember now what I played for you, but I remember one you played for me: Phillip Glass's "Knee 5" from his opera Einstein on the Beach.

"And what sort of story shall we hear ? Ah, it will be a familiar story, a story that is so very, very old, and yet it is so new. It is the old, old story of love.
Two lovers sat on a park bench with their bodies touching each other, holding hands in the moonlight.

There was silence between them. So profound was their love for each other, they needed no words to express it. And so they sat in silence, on a park bench, with their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight.

Finally she spoke. "Do you love me, John?" she asked. "You know I love you. darling," he replied. "I love you more than tongue can tell. You are the light of my life. my sun. moon and stars. You are my everything. Without you I have no reason for being."

Again there was silence as the two lovers sat on a park bench, their bodies touching, holding handls in the moonlight. Once more she spoke. "How much do you love me, John ?" she asked. He answered "How much do I love you ? Count the stars in the sky. Measure the waters of the oceans with a teaspoon. Number the grains of sand on the sea shore. Impossible, you say. Yes and it is just as impossible for me to say how much I love you.

"My love for you is higher than the heavens, deeper than Hades, and broader than the earth. It has no limits, no bounds. Everything must have an ending except my love for you."

There was more of silence as the two lovers sat on a park bench with their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight."

It was the first time I can remember listening to Philip Glass. I was struck by the beauty of this song and the poetic simplicity.  Mostly, though, I realized that this was a song that had profound meaning for you, and that it was deeply romantic, and I wondered if you intended to share that with me. It was exciting and nerve wracking all at once in a good way.

So often when I think of those early days, I think of this, and I still get excited about being on that metaphorical park bench with you. Someday, I hope we can see this preformed. In the mean time, I guess a different Glass opera will have to do.

Love you, darling dearest.
- Your Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment