Thursday, May 31, 2018

Dog Days of Summer

Mom accused me of not updating this blog in the current calendar year. I'm not only going to prove her wrong, but I'm going to make my SECOND post this year. Hah!

We took Spring Break off to go to Houston. We enjoyed the IHOP Easter decorations.


There was an early morning photo session--only 3-4 other families had the same idea. I'd include the actual pictures taken, but that would be hard and it's easier for me to post my meta-pictures taken while taking pictures.


Tommy started proto-crawling.


He also continued to mouth anything he could fit in his mouth.


He made a goofy face when we went to Corkscrew BBQ (really good, anyone in the N. Houston area should try it!).


A week rolls by fast when at Grandma Debby's. Before we knew it, we were looking at the weird stuff they put in the recently renovated United terminal at IAH.


Back home, John made some new friends in the community where Alison wishes we lived if the school district weren't so bad. They had a bubble machine.


Our Tommy is a very serious boy.



Just before our Houston trip, we got a big waterspot on our living room ceiling. Turns out it was from the bathtub sealing along the edges. When John takes baths he splashes a lot, which is why we hadn't noticed it until he took an especially violent one. The hole was made by the plumber who was checking to see whether the issue was caused by pipes.


It only took a month to get it repaired, after getting a mold inspection and getting insurance involved. A lovely sight in the meantime.

In other news, we are sub-optimal parents (at least I am, I suppose) and we make our children cry by offering them food that is not chicken nuggets or hot dogs. This is John's reaction.


All is forgiven when you turn on a cartoon.


The first weekend in May there's an airshow put on by the Planes of Fame museum in Chino. Our family went there while I was in high school and really enjoyed seeing the historical aircraft, especially when we got to see a couple of them flying. Here they take all kinds of WWII and Vietnam era aircraft out for flight demonstrations.

I took mostly video, and since video plays so poorly with the blog I'm just going to share the stills I took. It was like 35°C that day, the hottest day of the year so far. I wish we'd brought more water. Instead we got gouged by the Scouts selling it at the airfield.






We had a brief get-together with the cousins. John discovered the horrors of Candyland.


Tommy got "sick" (well, he did have a mild fever) so I got to hang out with him for a day and watch a rocket launch.


For Mother's Day we took "Grandma Debby" out to the Bazaar, one of those "molecular gastronomy" joints that apparently are a thing. Don't look to me for deep knowledge about culinary culture; I only write what I know. All I know is that the tapas served here are strangely delicious and, of course, pricey.



In the foreground is the remains of our cotton candy virgin mojito. Shown on the table are the cotton candy lollipops with a foie gras center. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.


Also, dessert graffiti. My favorite part was the LN2 douse at the end of the presentation.


What you feel like after eating that much food.


More food--Mother's Day breakfast.


Lest you think our lifestyle is too fabulous, I took another vacation. This time, to the far off desert climes of Tucson, AZ. Since John's preschool was closed for the week, I figured it was as good a time as any to take him to see "Papa and Grammy." Alison is still teaching, so she stayed at home with Tommy.

Only the finest transportation for us--we took the Amtrak from Union Station. It's about a 9 hour journey, overnight.



Yes, Amtrak is a train. We did the cheap seats because we're too fancy for a sleeper car. I got about 4 hours of sleep with John wriggling about. He slept much better. I felt much better after having a nap at home. Otherwise, it was a pretty slick trip. I think if I were to repeat, I'd opt to hop on at Pomona or Ontario rather than having to drive downtown. The distance wasn't bad, but the dropoff lanes were less than awesome.




Strangely enough, this was our first visit to Tucson during the summer since I was married. John wanted to swim, but Eric and I had a Solo movie to catch.



Uncle Eric is still a favorite with the kids.



We were lucky to have him--I hadn't seen my brother in nearly 6 months, and I'm not sure when the next time would be. He only stayed until Monday, Memorial Day.


No visit to Tucson is complete without the nausea-inducing trip up Mt. Lemmon. John enjoyed clambering on the rocks at Windy Point.




He did not enjoy getting a scrape on his leg which required a bandage. The most amusing part was not that the injury itself caused him to cry, but the fact that a bandage was placed on it.


He got better.


We had to drop off Grammy at the airport too, just a couple of days later. She went to San Antonio to stay with her mom.


John said "take a picture of me doing this." Here it is.


So it's just me, John, and "Papa." And the dogs, of course. We'll be here 'til next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment