Sunday, August 18, 2013

Building Kick

I wish I were a better blogger. I don't often get a nice block of time to just spew out clever turns of phrase and snappy pictures, and so I often just say "I'll get to it later." Of course, the longer I go without writing, the harder it becomes. So here's me, giving it another go!

Pretty soon this will be me anytime we go somewhere with Baby
Since we last met, we kind of dropped a bombshell on those who didn't already know. Just to recap, yes, we're having a kid, and no, you can't hold it. Yet. And it's still an it.

The past few weeks have been filled with comings and goings. Alison has been getting things ready for school, I've been getting busy busier at work, and Alison's mom has been moving moved to her new home. I guess the way life's been going, I could use a bit of acceleration to make up for lost time.

The first thing that will be built is the house. Here's a little video I took a couple of weeks back.

We hear that the streets will be finally completed next week so that I don't have to risk breaking my bumper again on the unpaved dirt paths when I go to visit. I've also scheduled a building inspection just to make sure Meritage is doing their job right. Barring any major setbacks, the house should be done late October. Of course, with just my luck, mortgage rates have crept upwards since I've signed the contract, and the dollars and cents are just looking a little more, er...dire.

Loki upon learning that his monthly house payment has gone up 12% because Bernanke said something 
We'll manage I guess...but with a kid being produced by this January I'm naturally concerned.

Speaking of, we will be finding out what kind of "it" the baby is by the end of this month. It'll be nice to know what color to paint the nursery in our house!

In other news, I've taken up Minecraft again. For the uninitiated, it is the ultimate Lego game, with zombies, gravity, fire, and water working against your great creations. Thus far my constructions have been either utilitarian (mines and safehouses) or lifted from existing buildings (like our IRL house or Stonehenge). The nice thing about Minecraft is I can get Alison to play with me occasionally. It makes me wish there were more cooperative games that didn't involve shooting things to make them bleed, since she doesn't really dig that.

You can see where I began making my own Salisbury Steak Hill Plain
Since Alison still lives close to her high school, she wanted to attend her 10 year reunion (egads, are we already that old?). I had no interest in traveling all the way back to Tucson for mine, but I figured that she might see folks she missed.

Despite the bright sun, it was pouring
We were to go to this BBQ joint. Alison and I met her friend Veronica from high school, and we ran in out of the rain to see weird cats staring each other down.

"If u strik me doun, I wul becom mor porful than u can posibly imajin"
Inside, there were big thrills...

A lot of babies!
It was fairly relaxed, although the attendance was awfully low, from my expectations. However, how many people can you really expect to see from your high school? Most folks don't stick around in the same place where they went to school, especially when they go away to college and get a job.

Well, I've pretty much caught you all up. I'll leave you with a heartwarming Pacific Rim shot:

Word, Mako.
And the inspiration behind my post title.

BUILDING KICK! EXPLOSION!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment