Sunday, April 3, 2016

Boxen

Another long period has passed without an update. Hopefully those who are intensely interested in our lives have other outlets of data than this struggling blog. But, here's the latest for those holding hope that Blog Will Deliver.

Star Wars returned, for the first time since the 80's. No, I can't hear your argument that there were movies released in the early 2000s.


I went back to Houston to spend Christmas with my family again.








Christmasing done, we boarded a plane for our second phase: a Disney cruise in the Carribean. Such a fabulous life we lead!


I contend that Royal Caribbean is a better cruise line, but Disney did a fine job.
Oh boy! Ice cream!
 After departing from Miami, we hit Nassau, Bahamas.


If you ever find your way out that way, I highly recommend the Junkanoo Museum. It was a great, fun cultural exchange. We had just missed the big celebration that occurs on Boxing Day. All the items pictured are paper mache, cardboard, and wire creations.


It was a happy visit.


Disney demanded we dress like pirates. Ai yarr!




I always enjoy rising before most of the passengers for views like these.


The next stop was Disney's private island, the former drug harbor of Castaway Cay.


John ate up the beach sand. It took two baths to get all of it out.


They also made some kids wear silly hats.


Our final stop was Key West. I'd say it was my least favorite locale, but I think maybe we just chose the wrong excursions. The Key Lime treats were good, at least.




I think that 4 nights is too short of a cruise, but it was certainly enough to get John tired.


Too tired to stay up for New Year's Dawn, we had brunch instead upon our return to Houston.


This is the last time I have successfully placed my son on a carousel horse.


One last shot at Bahama Bucks. Not to be found Californee-way.


I returned to California alone, to seek our home. Fortunately, my searching yielded this place in Glendora, CA. Even more fortunately, it coincided with the sale of our Houston home, so we actually could do something about it.


I became Californian.

Alison and Chelsea made the long trek from Houston to Los Angeles.



Our first outing in the city was to the California Science Center. We made the mistake of going to this free museum on Free Museum Day. It was super crowded, but still good.




We live close to this local legend.


John took plenty of opportunities to play with the Gibbs girls' toys.

Alison also had a birthday while we staying with the Rupps.



We managed to sneak away for an early Valentine's Day dinner at a local grocery store Pasadena Indian restaurant.

John was introduced to dandelions. Note the Californian lack of warm clothing, despite the February month.



After losing her way due to a dead phone battery, Alison finally met with her friend Veronica, who was in town for work.


In early March, after more drama than I care to describe, we closed on our townhouse/condo/combo. It is a little like our Houston home except more vertical and more than twice as expensive. I love hearing from long-time residents that they could never afford to live here had they not moved in before 2008. Makes me feel like I got suckered...


Our life for the next little while.


John still is happy regardless.


He loves the local parks.


And he loves the big park with a D. They take hundreds of our dollars.






Grandma Debby came to help open some of the boxes.


I think we may have a new favorite local Mexican restaurant.


Johnny met Goofy-a at California Adventure. He has taken to adding an -a to words ending in -y.


Easter happened! John had the interesting behavior of opening the eggs' contents into his bucket in the ward and family hunts rather than putting in complete eggs. This reduced his hunting efficiency, but he wasn't particularly interested in my advice on the matter.





I'm super mad my finger got in the way.
Our latest adventure was to attend the Mission-Tiki drive-in theater in Montclair. Had the Azusa Foothill drive-in not been closed in 2003, we'd be a lot closer to a drive-in.


So, we are in our new home, still searching for TV remotes and headphones and such. Alison is anxiously awaiting California's decision on whether she is a teacher, while I am finding myself deeper in the rabbit-hole of my newish job. There's still a lot to be done, but we've come a long way in this time.

I'll let you know when we've got it all figured out. Until then, this blog will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment