Sunday, September 4, 2016

Summer's over. Get back to work.

Yup, all the kids are going back to school. Well, actually, John's only going to school because Alison is teaching. Yes, she got a job at a local high school! She may even choose to talk about it sometime, with fear for her anonymity (if that is a concern).

My family made it out Californee-way for the 4th of July. Well, everyone except Alison, John, Eric, and Krystal. Since we were a small crew, we were able to get around a bit. Like to the Donut Man, to take pictures.


Or to Santa Monica. I guess it was important that I at least show up once, to say I've gone as a Southern California resident.







I didn't really care much for the preaching and buskering, but the weather was nice. I wasn't particularly keen on springing for tickets to the park either. Mom and Haley seemed quite taken with Bubba Gump...which I wasn't very interested in at all.


I didn't have any spinach with Popeye, but their fish and chips were pretty good.


It was interesting to note that Rte 66 ends at Santa Monica. I suppose we could have driven it all the way from Glendora if we were willing to drive for 3h.






Alison and John finally showed up and got to join in on the fun. Dad and John took a trip to the semi-local playground.


There was a ward breakfast on the 4th of July. John was most interested in the balloons.


The Scouts performed admirably in the flag raising.


We partook in the yearly ritual of observing young Will Smith's chest as he talks about the 'quake near Los Angeles.

Then we went to Knott's Berry Farm. I haven't been since I was in high school, with a group of not-interested-in-good-rides. We had a kid, so we spent of the time in Camp Snoopy.



John was thrilled with the prospect of going on a ride all by himself. He couldn't figure out the controls of the Red Baron airplane--namely, you need to pull the stick toward yourself to go up.

The main event was the firework display at the end of the day. Alison, Haley, and I got to ride a grown-up roller coaster (Silver Bullet, which was the funnest ride I've been on in a long time). As we went up the long lift hill, we saw fireworks all over Orange County. It was probably the coolest visual that I had absolutely no way of capturing.



The next day, we went to our favorite breakfast spot, Flappy Jack's.

I had to go back to work, and I was working the 3-11 PM shift on our thermal vacuum test. I basically only saw my family in the morning before I shipped off. I think they went to the beach and other such fun things while I got to watch monitors and occasionally command some heaters.

Then the other side of the family rolled into town, which meant a requisite visit to the Disney zone.





I didn't go in though. Work and such.


Acquired an old favorite book:



We went with Rob and Michelle (who had better seats than us) to see Bret and Jemaine at the Greek Theater. I didn't capture the burning Long March 7 booster on camera, but I certainly saw it streaking over Griffith Observatory.



The mall in Arcadia was a big hit, at least with the rides. Good luck finding anywhere to park though.


Din Tai Fung. The kids weren't super thrilled. They just didn't know what they were missing, 'sall.



A cousin sleepover...John only annoyed Ryan a few times.


Spending some time in the "rocket chair" at Legends Diner.


Photo sessions near San Clemente Pier.




The real attraction were the new Pokemon. I'm like, level 8 now. Watch out.





Crystal Cove Chilaquiles. Seriously good.



Everyone continued to have fun while I returned to work. Got a flat for my troubles. It actually turned out to be doubles. Good thing the tires were repairable at the local BIG O.


Some shots of our dubiously rented beach home. I enjoyed it, at least.




Legos Downtown.



Hat party! Because, why not.


Got this in the mail. I burned it. That's right, I BURNED IT.


Had to go to Boulder, CO for a civil space contract. Bulldog is a good smooth root beer locally available.


The first time I've ever found quinoa tasty.


Awake at 2 AM to take my early shift on console.


Because of rapidly changing schedules, I found myself with the majority of a Saturday to do whatever I pleased in Colorado. Got some good breakfast and headed to Rocky Mountain National Park.











I was fully intending on taking a stroll, but at 11,000 ft the air is significantly colder than for what I was equipped. Basically, it was all I could do to snap some pictures and jump back into my warm car.



Apparently, before the area was formally parkified, people built their own little resorts and retreats in the area. Horseshoe Inn was one of these, and the park service demolished it to reclaim the land for nature.





After all this, I had a nice wait in DEN before I could go home again.


That's all that I have over the past few months. Alison has more, as you can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment